Even with our best efforts, most Houston drivers will reach a point where their battery dies. Or maybe you want to be a good samaritan and jump start a car battery for someone in need. In any case, knowing how to properly jump start a car is a simple yet invaluable piece of information. The service center at Central Houston Nissan covers the proper way to jump start a car below!
How to Jump Start a Car: Step-By-Step
Whether it’s a brand new or pre-owned vehicle, the process for the proper way to jump start a car battery is pretty much the same. Indeed, even the tools are universal and in the trunk of most Houston drivers’ vehicles: a set of jumper cables and another vehicle with a working battery. Here’s the proper way to jump start a car:
- Face-to-Face: Pull Car B up to Car A so they are face to face. You’ll need to be close enough so the jumper cables can reach!
- Find the Batteries and Terminals: You’ll probably have to remove a plastic cap or other coverings to find the battery, especially on a newer vehicle. Use a flashlight as needed to find the positive (+) and negative (-) terminals, making sure they are cleared of corrosion and dirt.
- Attach the Batteries: Attach the first red clamp to the positive terminal on the dead battery. Then uncoil the cables and attach the other red clamp to the working battery. Take the paired black clamp and attach it to the negative terminal on the working battery. Take the final black clamp and attach it to an unpainted metal surface on the dead vehicle.
- Start Your Engine(s): Now you can start Car B, wait a few seconds, then start Car A. And that’s the proper way to jump start a car battery. If it doesn’t work, give it some more time before you try again.
- Proper Removal: Take the cables off in reverse order from how you put them on.
- Keep it Runnin’: The battery on your vehicle needs to be kept on for at least 10 minutes, so keep the engine running.
That’s how to jump start a car! Don’t forget, you can always call a jump start car service like AAA if you can’t find another Bellaire driver to help you out or something isn’t working.
Car Won’t Jump Start? Troubleshooting
So, your car won’t jump start? Besides knowing how to jump start a car, it’s good to know about the other things that could have gone wrong with your car battery. Let’s examine a few scenarios:
- Clicking Sound: If your vehicle isn’t starting and you hear a lot of clicking, you may be looking at a faulty starter. For this problem, you’ll need to schedule service with a Pearland-area service center.
- Electronics Work: Are your lights turning on but your engine isn’t starting? This could indicate an issue with your fuse, switch, or a bad battery. This is also an occasion for calling a service center that uses OEM parts to fix your problem.
- Faulty Alternator: Should your battery jump start but die again after you’ve driven it, even after waiting ten minutes, that could be a sign of a faulty alternator.
Get Expert Car Service at Central Houston Nissan!
Houston drivers looking for jump start car service or wanting to know more about how to jump start a car can trust the experts at Central Houston Nissan! Check out our service tips to stay informed and contact us today with any questions you may have.